Hi Lawrence,
Personally I use RPM's on Opensuse and I'm running 3.4.4.2 which is pretty
recent to be honest.  (..) However, the down side is that I cannot run SMP mode
(for some reason I think the RPM is not compiled with it) as well as I am stuck
running this version until someone builds a new RPM.
This thread started when I offered a contribution for allowing SMP mode from the rpm packages. :-)

Are your issues related to SELinux or APParmour? If post them on the list someone may help you with them and the fix may be incorporated to a later rpm package.

[]s, Fernando Lozano