There is an issue with that not related directly to squid.
You can try to add into the sysvinit script a strict declaration using ulimit that will force a limit on the script at runtime.

It can be caused due to malfunction or mis-configuration in RH and that the FD limit at the time when squid starts up at boot is not yet set.

Regards,
Eliezer