----- Original Message -----
From: "Kurt Bigler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [sqwebmail] new file proposal

> on 2/26/03 3:40 PM, Jesse Guardiani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (apparently
> off-list):
>
> > On Wednesday 26 February 2003 18:22, Kurt Bigler wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I forgot to mention one other thing I was confused about.
> >>
> >> I want to make sure that the original * and @ functionality were both being
> >> represented in this new offering.  Somehow that wasn't clear to me.  It
> >> sounded like @ would do what * did, and * you were calling the wildcard
> >> modifier.  Are you saying the wildcard modifier would enable the
> >> interpretation of wildcards?  If so they why is this needed rather than
> >> simply the presence of the wildcards themselves?  We aren't worried about
> >> domain names containing *s are we?  (Sorry if I read things too fast.)
> >
> > It makes the code easier to write. I can't see why anyone would prefer the old
> > '*' modifier over the new '@' modifier, so the new '@' modifier is taking it's
> > place.
> >
> > The '*' modifier will become the wildcard modifier, telling my code to
> > implement
> > the wildcard algorithms. Sure, I could infer this from any field that has a
> > wildcard domain, but this would lead to syntax issues and make my code harder
> > comprehend and generally slower.
> >
> > Is there a problem with that?
>
> Ok, I just figured out the problem here.  (But don't worry, because the
> problem goes too deep to be corrected.)  I was about to say that you still
> might want wildcard mapping when you are using the domain list popup, which
> requiring the * flag would preclude.  But then I saw the obvious conflict!

I think that if someone really wants to list all of their domains in a drop
down menu (which would be like 500 or 1000 domains for some sites), then they
shouldn't have any problem listing them individually. After about 20 domains,
a drop down menu gets kinda cumbersome anyway.

The thing I really liked about the unified logindomainlist file is the ability
to apply grouping. This really makes the whole drop down menu USABLE for large
sites. It's a real design win, IMHO.

> This takes me back to your originally separate domainmap file. Because I
> "knew" you wouldn't want wildcards (how wrong I was) I did not bother
> mentioning that that was the one reason that would justify keeping the
> domainmap file separate:  because then it could use wildcards while an
> explicit list of domains would remain in logindomainlist.
>
> Not sure that I have any real regrets though.  But thought I'd mention it
> for completeness.
>
> Really the problem is that thoughts fly much too quickly and most of them
> can't be captured in time in an email.

I hear ya. It doesn't help that you have the unfortunate job of sanity checking
a crazy time-sensitive programmer. :)