It's not a formal policy, it's just been my experience. If you have a problem under a non-linux OS, you're on your own. To be fair, the author has zero obligation to support any platform - as always, you have to ask yourself, "How much did i pay for the software?".

The other webmail interfaces I offer customers are Squirrelmail (the favorite by a wide margin), TWIG, and IMP. All three use IMAP to talk to the server. Since they use a standard client transport, they don't care what the server runs on the backend, or whether they're even on the same server as the Maildirs. Squirrelmail is pretty great - easy to install (unlike IMP, which has a billion dependencies), and boatloads of plugins to customize it just about any way you want.

I'm running qmail/courier-imap/vpopmail+mysql backend, on an ultrasparc running solaris 9. My customers use standard email clients (outlook, eudora, pegasus, etc) and the three above mentioned webmail interfaces with zero difficulty with attachments. In fact, there are zero other problems of any kind with any software on the server. Only Sqwebmail has a problem. Therefore, logic dictates that Solaris must be broken. ;^)