Two things . . . first, I was pretty sure this mail list was dead, I haven't
received any mail from it in a long while.

Second, (more importantly - your issue) I had a very similar issue a few
years ago.  I was even more of a n00b back then, but the end result was
somehow I had sqWebMail AND another package (as I recall it was another
webmail, I think at the time it was SquirrelMail (subsequently I have
preferred IMP to both (http://www.horde.org/imp/) yet I found it far more
difficult to build than either).  Basically what was happening in my setup
was both were calling to authdaemon to invoke the authentication.  Somehow,
as soon as one tried invoking authdaemon, it seemed to lock.  As long as the
other package wasn't invoked it was fine - if it was, I had to stop and
restart the authdaemon and begin my evaluation process all over again.  (I
was assisting in a comparison of different webmails for an ISP).  In short,
my question really is - do you have any other packages that are using
authdaemon?  More importantly, if there is anyone else still reading this
list, they can probably help you far better than I, but I was hoping I could
at least point in the right direction.

Best wishes,

Aaron Kneppar
Infrastructure Systems Administrator