> On Apr 14, 2024, at 12:19 PM, Mahmood Alkhalil <mahmood.alkha...@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the insights Alex!
>
> Now that I give it more attention, the need for employees with the required
> skillset would be challenging to find. And wouldn't like the company to
> suffer incase skilled personals leave.

It's not impossible, especially now that more tech jobs than ever seem to be
remote, or substantially remote.

However, highly skilled open-source practitioners in esoteric areas (like IP
telephony) are in high demand, and usually have strong leverage to pick their
employers, if not necessarily set their pay. They will often look for companies
with strong "open-source" DNA/mojo/chi/whatever word you want to use, whose
technology stack consists of fashionable and interesting languages, frameworks,
and tools, and have other smart, like-minded people working there to create a
dynamic, experimentally oriented energy.

This does not describe many established businesses, regardless of whether the
offering of the business is related to IT. Medium to large organisations, in
particular, tend to extract labour from consistent (if unextraordinary) output
of everyday do-gooders, and not the more stochastic and volatile heroics of
open-source superstars. Thus, in a variety of senses, it's easier to hire
people "off the street" to do the things involved in the provisioning and
support of a Broadsoft than it is to hire people who can deftly manoeuvre
Kamailio or FreeSWITCH.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't aim for that. That all depends. I think Jawaid,
Fred and I are both just quick to point out the potential downsides, since we
all, in one dimension or another, make a living in this stuff.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Principal Consultant