Thank you for taking the time to reply Henning, and for the insight.

This is exactly what we are doing; we use FreeSWITCH as a B2BUA. In the
scenario I described earlier, the UAC is the second leg of FreeSWITCH.

When FreeSWITCH receives the final response "negative reply sent from
kamailio", it gets confused and doesn't know where to relay it. It takes 32
seconds before generating a negative SIP message to the UAC in leg A,
indicating a timeout.

FreeSWITCH expects to receive a SIP message with the same To and From tags as
the previous SIP messages. In this case, I think it considers it as a different
dialog with new To and From tags.

Cheers,

Mohamed