On 11/24/2012 05:56 PM, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

A problem with Java is garbage collection. Every now and then the
application slows down. This is not good for real-time applications
requiring millisecond precision.

While SIP requires sub-second precision, it does not require millisecond precision. :-)

In any case, garbage collection is definitely a problem, but there are ways of optimising the JVM's GC behaviour to be more or less favourable to the task.

There are plenty of other problems with Java as well - startup is
usually very slow. Applications are almost always bloated. And the
Java programming culture of 'throw more iron at it' inevitably
produces yet more bloat.

That is definitely true, though one might argue that this is a cultural problem rather than an innate Java problem.

In any case, I am not a Java programmer and am not defending Java, so please don't misconstrue my stance. I'm just saying that it might not be _wholly_ unsuitable to the task.

I do not think, and have never thought, that Java is an ideal language in which to implement SIP call processing.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC