Hello,

I have tried the following to hide the password during an FTP transter without much
sucess.  Has anyone got this to work right
or a similar ftp program.

Locally:

ssh -L 1234:remoteCompName:21 -g -l userID remoteCompName

Locally open up another terminal then:

ncftp  (enter)
set passive yes   (enter)
open -u userID -P 1234 127.0.0.1

At this point I would see the message   "fwd connect from 127.0.0.1 to local port
sshdfwd-1234 on the remote ssh terminal.

However at the terminal where I'm running ncftp the result is
User userID logged in.
Logged in to 127.0.0.1

The problem starts when you try to view the directory by typing   "dir"
Result is    "List failed."   any ideas   ?

I then tried the exact same thing with  ftp.

ftp  (enter)
passive (enter)
open 127.0.0.1  1234     (enter)

User  userID logged in.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

I then type  "dir"  to list the files.

227 Entering Passive mode (128,100,9,195,5,59)
425 Possible PASV port theft, cannot open data connection.

Can anyone help me I don't know why it's not working ???

I know that the data can still be snooped, but at least the password will be secure.