On Thu Jun  1 14:19:23 2000, Phil Hurvitz said:

> I initiate ssh2 with port forwarding:
>
>       foo% ssh -L 1234:bar:21 foo
>
> Which I take to mean this: "create an ssh session between foo and foo, but
> forward foo's port 1234 to bar's ftp port."  I shoul;d be able to ftp to
> foo's local 1234 and actually be connected to bar's ftp, right?

Not quite.  You should be making your ssh connection to bar;  that's the only
way SSH is going to be able to forward anything to bar.  E.g.,

        foo% ssh -L 1234:bar:21 bar

Then, if you ftp to localhost 1234 you might get it to work.  But it may
not work anyway, because you may have to use PASV mode and your ftp client
or server might not support that.  There are several issues involved, but
at least try the above first.

Mike

Mike Friedman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Communication & Network Services          +1-510-642-1410
University of California at Berkeley      http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef