I don't know the specifics on why it's started this way, but I do know that
my ssh daemon reads the hosts.allow, and hosts.deny files, and bases it's
security off of these.  So that may be the reason.  It may be that the
system implements the security features of inetd internally, and can handle
this in a much faster manor than the inetd wrappers.  So it may be a
performance issue.   I suspect someone who knows enough about inetd can
make it work w/o an in.ssh module....  (at least my system doesn't have a
wrapper for ssh)

Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be dead wrong.  I haven't been
been able to get ssh-agent to work yet, so I probably don't understand
enough about ssh to answer your question reliably.

                    Eric Moore

                    south.net>           cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     SSH start up, rc.local vs.
inetd.conf
                    owner-ssh@cli

                    net.fi

                    06/16/2000

                    06:27 PM

Why is SSH2D started through the rc.local file instead of inetd?

Isn't SSH a service?

I thought it was a safety feature to use inetd (and tcpd) to start
network services.

Thanks, EM