>       On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>
>       > On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 10:13:16AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       > > I CAN'T connect to machine "C" from machine "A", however, and I suspect
>that
>       > > it is our corporate firewall that is to blame ... here is a transcript of
>the
>       > > failed session:
>       >
>       > more than likely.
>       >
>       > > debug: Allocated local port 832.
>       >
>       > w/ firewalls, always use the -P (non-priv port) option
>
>       I tried the "-P" option, and got the exact same results.
>

>       > > $ telnet B
>       > > Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
>       > > Connected to B.our-corporate-domain
>       > > Escape character is '^]'.
>       > > hhhhh telnet proxy (Version 5.5) ready:
>       > > tn-gw-> close
>       > > Connection closed by foreign host.
>       > >
>       > > [tom@id tom]$ telnet B 22
>       > > Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
>       > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>       >
>       > why are you trying to connect to box B?  shouldn't you be doing "telnet C
>       > 22"?  It doesn't matter if the firewall is connectable.
>       >

>       I was just trying to show that the B box (our corporate firewall)
>       appears to be blocking port 22, and yes, I did try telnet C 22:

Trying to connect to B.22 just shows that B has nothing running on port 22.  This
is completely different than blocking port 22.  A router/firewall doesn't have to be
running anything on port 22 (or it could be).  It can still pass or block packets
headed
set up to pass/block (filter) <from-to address combinations>.22.

So it could accept B.22 and deny <all others>.22.  The filtering rules can be done
without
regard for what ports are being serviced by B.  (Coordination would be nice BUT, not
necessary. i.e. - if they block B.80 then there is no point in running a default port
web
server on B but, you could ... it just wouldn't get any connections.)

Can you run sshd from your home (or some machine you can control) <machine D>?  If so,
try starting it with "-p 22222" and then from work use "ssh <machine D> -P -p 22222".
That should tell you how heavily your corporate firewall is filtering things.

Paul