Hi,

   I do not know if this list deals with ssh2 (not openssh) releases. But,
I will assume that it does, for the below purposes.

   There is a new ssh v2 release, aka ss-3.0.0 (ssh-3.0.1 fixes a
bug). Anyway, assume that you have both ssh-1.2.31 and ssh-3.0.1 installed
on your machine, when the ssh/sshd etc etc links point to the ssh2/sshd2
and friends. When you want to connect to a machine running ssh v1.5 (like
ssh-1.2.31 for ex.), ssh2 issues something like:

warning: Remote server talks SSH-1.5 protocol.

And then it's supposed to connect to that host using the 1.5 protocol,
allow you to authenticate, and the login. That works quite alright if the
remote host is running ssh-1.2.31 or so, but, if the remote host is a
Cisco router, with an S series IOS, with des based ssh support, then it
doesn't work. Ssh 2.4.0 did work properly with it.

The command you issue is actually:

ssh -c des [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This worked well with 2.4.0. This doesn't work with 3.0.x, it connects,
asks for password, but doesn't recognize your password upon entry.

If you do instead:

ssh1 -c des [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This works like a charm.

FYI..