Need to have pam correctly configured:

If you are using PAM, you may need to manually install a PAM control
file as "/etc/pam.d/sshd" (or wherever your system prefers to keep
them).  Note that the service name used to start PAM is __progname,
which is the basename of the path of your sshd (e.g., the service name
for /usr/sbin/osshd will be osshd).  If you have renamed your sshd
executable, your PAM configuration may need to be modified.

A generic PAM configuration is included as "contrib/sshd.pam.generic",
you may need to edit it before using it on your system. If you are
using a recent version of Red Hat Linux, the config file in
contrib/redhat/sshd.pam should be more useful.  Failure to install a
valid PAM file may result in an inability to use password
authentication.  On HP-UX 11 and Solaris, the standard /etc/pam.conf
configuration will work with sshd (sshd will match the other service
name).

In the INSTALL or README file in default build...

ar

Abdul Rahman, Ph.D.
Manager
Sevenspace