When I use Spong( a monitoring package for services), I get
 the following
 messages in my syslog everytime
 Spong checks to see if the service is open:

 Did not receive identification string from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

 The question I have is, what is a good way to keep this from
 happening?
 Switch the loglevel to warn rather than info?
 Here is the perl script I used to duplicate this error. It is
 taken from the
 spong source:
 <PerlCode>
 #!/bin/perl
 use warnings;
 use Sys::Hostname;
 use Socket;
 use IO::Socket;

 $line="";
 $ip="127.0.0.1";
 $port=998;
 $proto="tcp";
 $iaddr = inet_aton( $ip )                    || return -1;
 $paddr = sockaddr_in( $port, $iaddr );
 $timeout=10;

 local $SIG{'ALRM'} = sub { die "Socket timed out"; };
 alarm($timeout);
 socket( SOCK, PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $proto ) || die "socket: $!";
 connect( SOCK, $paddr )                      || die "connect: $!";
 select((select(SOCK), $| = 1)[0]);
 print SOCK "$data";
 recv( SOCK, $line, 256, 0 );  # just grab a chunk from the service.
 alarm(0);
 close( SOCK ) || die "close: $!";
 </PerlCode
 --