From: Bryan Hodgson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SSH 2.0.12 scp2 wont talk to OpenSSH scp

A Solaris 2.6 machine sporting version 2.0.12 of SSH, using protocol 2
public key authentication (no problem) refuses to talk protocol 2 for an
scp operation with an OpenSSH client, version 2.9, running on Solaris 8,
transferring the file by protocol 1 instead (according to the
messages).  Protocol 2 seems to work for all other purposes (including,
evidently, sftp according to the debug3 statements on file transfers).

I live on the Solaris 8 box.

On the 2.6 machine, /usr/local/bin/scp is a symlink to scp2.

A (names changed to protect the innocent) copy of an scp session
follows.  It tells the tale.

scp -v name@<address.hidden>:/home/name/temp/testfile.txt .
Executing: program /usr/local/bin/ssh host <address.hidden>, user name,
command scp -v -f /home/name/temp/testfile.txt
warning: Development-time debugging not compiled in.
warning: To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
Sending file modes: C0644 11 testfile.txt
testfile.txt         100%

The file is transferred successfully.

Absent -v, I'm a bit strapped to diagnose the problem.  Apart from
persuading these folks to upgrade to a more current ssh (politically
unlikely), I'm about stuck on getting scp to work in v2 mode.

I'm guessing a bit at the remote ssh version number, but "ssh -v -l name
<address.hidden> ls" says (in part) : debug1: Remote protocol version
1.99, remote software version 2.0.12 (non-commercial)

Suggestions welcome.  More debug output available if there's any
interest.