> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:33:05 +0000
> From: Sam Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I believe Frank S was of a class of loco produced for Heersfeld(SP/)bahn?
> German Military Railways in WWII.  Though many lines in occupied territory
> tended to be 750/760mm ga it is my understanding that these locos were run
> on metre ga lines.  Whether they were readily convertible or turned out of

Sam, the very prototype of the Heeresfeldbahn Frank S by Henschel run
on the Rugen Island (which was not an occupied territory, at least was not
perceived as such). And the Rugen line is 750mm gauge.
I still haven't located this loco type in Poland but I guess there must
have been a few. I wonder what gauge they used.
In Austria they used 760mm mainly if not exclusively.

> the works to a specific gauge I don't know.  I will have to get Mary to do
> some translation for me; I will dig my German language book in the subject
> out tonight to clarify the issue.

I will be really interested to know!

> >Actually the whole issue of scale/gauge correctness is not quite well
> >applicable to European engines. There are examples of locomotives
> >which ran on several different gauges, either they were produced that
> >way or regauged when moved from one line to another.
>
> I'm not entirely in agreement here.  I think this is an over generalisation
> and not typical.

I said there are examples. I did not say they all were produced for
various gauges. Some were and some were not.

> The locos produced in WWII and some industrial designs were by their nature
> intended to be turned out in different gauges.  Designs where a single loco
> could have its gauge readily converted I think were fairly rare.  The

Take the quite famous Px48 Polish narrow gauge loco. Produced after
the war in thousands I think,  exported around the place, and run in
Poland on a multitude of gauges from 750 to meter gauge.

I would be happy to provide you with many examples of locomotives
which were regauged in Poland, and I can give you examples of quite
interesting gauges used. Still I have little data (due to little interest)
on German or French or Italian narrow gauge, in that sense my statement
possibly is an over generalisation.

On the other hand, just yesterday I localised some info on the Puffing
Billy Baldwins and you can check yourself the different gauges listed which
this standard design happily shared. What a beautiful loco by the way!!!

http://www.pbr.org.au/heritage/baldwin.htm

Happy steaming!
Zbigniew