<< Sunday on march 19th 2000 a spring steamup will by held at the National=
  motorcar museum in Raamsdonksveer. Between the old-timers model engine >>

    Well I think I will pack my bags----where the h#&& is Raamsdonksveer
anyhow?

     I too have attempted to find out what fuel to water (or boiler size)
would be only I was thinking in terms of butane fuel.  Mostly what I have
heard is that there is really no formula or ratio to figure fuel to water
ratio, it is more or less a trial and error method.  It appears that most
model engineers have a general idea of how much fuel it takes to boil a given
quantity of water and work from there.
    I have a small steam locomotive that holds 85ml of water and at the end
of a run when all the fuel is expended at least half of the water is
remaning. I do not have any way to figure out how much fuel the tank contains
other than by the size of the tank.  Once I figure a method of measuring the
amount of fuel consumed I will be able to determine the ratio, however, it
would only be appropriate for this particular boiler.  There is no way one
could come up with a general formula or ratio as there are too many variables
in the equation, boiler size, fuel type, burner type/size, and the work being
done. etc.  I think perhaps by observation and study one can come up with a
general formula / ratio for fuel - water but nothing absolute.

Lloyd F.