<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote on 3/5/00
> I've got a wild hair and am highly curious...
>
> Does anyone know where one goes to get the needed training to be able to
> work in a full size loco shop?  How about what training is necessary for
> sucha  job?  This is something I've always been interested and I haven't
> got a clue where to go for the info.  I'm not currently well aligned to
> such a job either, being in the Electronics/computer industry.  :/
>
> TIA for any info,
> Trot, the old/new tech, fox...

Trot,
      This is a similar situation which might be of interest to you and the
group.

       A friend of mine also had a similar "hair".  His background is in
electronics too.  He is a railfan and 1:1 steam enthusiast.  He wanted to be
a locomotive engineer.
     First he had to join the union.  He started out in the yards as
switchman/brakeman for several years.  Then he worked his way up to fireman.
After about 7-8 years he got to be an engineer (diesel), but only when his
seniority was above everyone else's.  The local railroad he works for is
about to purchase a live steam engine from California and start an excursion
run from Algiers, La (west bank of Mississippi River across from New
Orleans) to the lower coast (Near the mouth of the river) about 20 miles
from N.O.
     He applied for the job of "Steam Engineer" on that engine and they told
him that he would have to take a cut in salary of $5000 a year.  Reason was:
"Steam engineer was considered a "cushy" job and did not warrant the higher
salary of a "Regular" revenue engineer".  Needless to say he did not take
the job.
     So the bottom line is if you love it that much be prepared to work your
a## off for many years and then take a cut in salary if you can find a steam
loco engineer opening.

     Seriously, if you are interested in a modern steam locomotive shop try
the following:
 http://www.steam-locomotive.com/trrshopx.html
PAT DARBY
TIMBER & TALLOW BRANCH RR