Dan Pantages has been running the boarder with the hooch for three
years now... we swap for butane and the NSS.  Canadian hooch has been
the official meths fuel for the NSS during that time.  Sam DiMaggio
will back me up on this: he was operating Dan Liebowitz's new
Southern Mikado on a break in run and the locomotive was lethargic.
Couldn't maintain steam pressure for a full lap on the track. He
sucked the Home Depot stuff out of the tank (probably Listerine cut
with paint remover) and replaced it with the hooch.  The locomotive
leapt into action. Great pressure and a normal consumption rate.  I
was impressed.

There have been pix in SitG and on the site of my much modified (ne
hammered) PLM 4-6-0. I've had to modify/trim the wicks on that loco
for use with the hooch because it was overpowering the previous wick
settings and density. Home Depot Listerine was used previously with
good result, but with the hooch and a tuning that locomotive sings.
I tried Listerine with the new wick settings and the loco has the
same lethargic response as described above with Dan's loco.

That's a very unscientific stream of consciousness but that's the
story and I'm sticking to it.

New topic if you don't mind: as therapy for the absolute
mayhem/madness that is my life as we remodel our house I have started
to unofficially lay out my new railroad.  (There's an excavator
bigger than my house sitting in the proposed spot right now. Cool
hardware, wish they'd let me drive.)  I want the new track to
accommodate some Aster locos but it will be built as a 1:20.3 narrow
gauge railroad. Doing the Aster math on their recommendation for 2m
radii for the Aster locos I have that comes out to 6' 7". Does anyone
have any experience actually running on a 2m or 6'7" track with a K4
or Mikado for instance?  I will be space constrained due to my lack
of negotiation skills... keeping it down to 2m would be nice but I
don't want to build the logical minimum but have an
impractical/useless track for the bigger locos. If 2m doesn't really
work I'll just build a narrow gauge railroad to 5' radii and drop in
unannounced at my friend's homes to use their bigger tracks.  :-)

Later!

-Richard

>At 5:18 AM -0700 8/24/00, Peter Trounce wrote:
> >I believe it is used in camp stoves. Sold in gallon plastic jugs for about
> >$5.
>
>Finlayson calls it "Canadian hooch."
>
>;-)
>
>\dmc

>   David M. Cole                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   Editor & Publisher: The Cole Papers; NEWSINC.            V: (650) 557-9595
>   Consultant: The Cole Group <http://colegroup.com/>       F: (650) 557-9696
>   On the road again ...

Richard Finlayson

Check out:  http://www.steamup.com         "Steam In The Garden Online"