There was a nice article in SIG a couple of months ago that was reasonably
well researched about how to build a butane tank out of copper tubing.  For
a lot of people, round is easier only because it's easier to find round caps
that will give you a good fit. Square / rectangular fits better in most
locos and since steel is often used in  propane tanks steel would be no
problem either.

    If you decide to build one, keep us informed about your progress.

Phil.P.