on 19/9/00 3:14 pm, Tony at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ............Here is my first Live Steam loco a Brandbright/Roundhouse "Liberty
> Belle".  Captured simmering away by ace photographer David Fletcher at
> a recent AMRA/LGB club open day in Melbourne.
>
> It is being used primarily as a test bed for developing an upgraded
> RCS R/C servo drive system.
>
> After a few initial teething problems with the safety valve and gas
> filler valve both leaking the 'Belle is now steaming properly thanks
> to some much valued assistance from Gordon Watson.
>
> I have fitted my RCS R/C servo driver system plus a Sierra® Digital
> sound system. The chuff is disabled but I have kept the excellent
> Westinghouse air pump, Whistle, Bell and coal shoveling sounds.
> Realistic sound sure adds a new dimension to Live steam.
>
> I am extremely impressed by the slow speed operation and the power
> available for climbing grades and hauling a train.
>
> The other pic shows how Brandbright have made a very neat installation
> possible by providing an etched brass fret to securely hold the
> various R/C and sound components in the tender............

Good are they not Tony.  I reviewed this locomotive 18 months ago and found
the extra sounds provided a whole new dimension and the RCS kit made driving
somehow a more prototypical experience.  I found that, at first, the RC was
awkward to use because I was so used to standard futaba.  After a short
while however,and as I began to relax with the kit, I found the RCS very
intuitive  and ringing (or should that be tolling) the bell as I slowly
rolled into the station (temporarily renamed the depot :-) ) or sounding the
evocative US whistle (without concerning myself with loss of steam) to be
great fun.
This RCS and sound fitted Roundhouse based live steam locomotive has not had
the attention that it deserves, and I somehow thought that it would make
rather more impression in the USA that it would appear to from this quiet
corner of the UK. I used to have one of Roger's Antipodean Fowlers (on which
this model is based) and, with the aid of one of my home made chuff pipes
and a very heavy train, it used to make a very loud and effective chuff when
pulling at walking pace up Trematon bank.
I have to say that if one is in the market for an American style locomotive
that really recreates atmosphere then this loco with sound/RCS fit is really
worth a look - and I would prefer this so fitted loco to a 'Sandy River'. No
good perhaps for rivet counting but top of the shop for atmosphere and what
Fisher Price call 'play value :-)

PS  You can actually work the RCS from your pocket!  It is suggested that
you don't do this at mixed meetings however - your actions might be
misunderstood!!

--

Yours Aye

Tag Gorton