In a message dated 9/27/2000 10:08:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>   I don't want to get technical, but aren't the fans used to "get steam up"
>  really suckers, not blowers?  The blowers are part of the locomotive,
> bleeding
>  off steam pressure to create draught through the flues until exhaust takes
> over
>  this function.  :  )
Hi Royce;
You can refer to them either way. The blower that is part of the engine works
by creating a partial vacumm in the smoke box by exhausting steam through a
venturi.
It is, in fact, sucking the fire from the fire box, just as a stack blower
will do. Both electric suction fans and steam blowers do the same thing. When
you put your hand near the stack it blows hot fire box gases into your hand.
And both have used suction to accomplish this. The "Suckers" are us who buy
these wonderful toys!
Keith Taylor