Steve,
Converting a Roundhouse boiler to alcohol firing is OK.
I did it with my Lady Anne exactly as described, making a sheetmetal box
underneath leading around the back and sealing to the boiler shell and
backplate with silicone rubber caulk.
There is nothing destructive about doing it this way, and the added bit can
easily be removed if wanted.
You will need a steam blower nozzle in the smokebox for draught, but that
is straightforward too.
As to efficiency, this is what current Asters do, gluing thin ceramic
insulating sheet inside the metal box, using silicone as glue.
Peter Trounce.

----------
> From: Shyvers, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re:  Roundhouse Boiler
> Date: Thursday, October 05, 2000 4:11 PM
>
> Vance,
>
> You suggested  the idea of "fitting a firebox to the rear of the RH
boiler
> and installing a vaporizing alcohol or ceramic butane burner."
>
> I would think that the efficiency of an add-on firebox would be low
because
> most of its radiating surface area would not be exposed to water.
Prototype