on 17/10/00 2:41 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> Berkeley Locomotive Works made the Cricket for a number of years. I
> understand it is no longer available. It is a single cylinder, spherical
> piston little jobber with a good set of reduction gears. The SWAMP RR's Mr.
> James Cricket has been slightly modified to help it do the work it does. Mike
> O'Rourke made the crickets, and they were the only "Made in USA" live
> steamers available. They were in the $500 to 600 dollar range. Slow but
> strong and steady. They could be best described as a "Plantation" type motor
> - Mike called them Steam Motors.
> Keep your steam up!
> Walt & Mr. Lunkenheimer

James Slater of Budleigh Salterton has run a 'cricket' locomotive for many
years.  It shows no sign of wear and, because it is geared, is ideal for
running on lines with sharp 'dockside' curves.  As an oscillator, it also
provides a most satisfactory display of steam.
The only problem I ever found with it, was that the oil used to 'pop' in the
chimney (stack) and even this was cured by a later 'oil trap' modification.
Jim's line is in the very small garden of his retirement home and, of
necessity, used the old two foot radii Mamod track.  After his experience
with 'Cricket' Jim gradually switched to the geared locomotives produced by
Peter Angus.  Just like 'Cricket', these locos proceed in a slow and
prototypical manner WITHOUT struggling on the curves.

--

Yours Aye

Tag Gorton
Longlands & Western Railway Co