Hi Gordon,
    Thanks for responding.  I've gotten so many good suggestions from so many
that I'm afraid I won't have time to try them all.  But, a question about your
process.  Would you end up with the raised letters on a background?  And how
would this be attached to the wheel without showing?  Thanks for your detailed
step by step approach.  I'm leaning towards using an etching process, but
directly on the wheel.  As long as the etching process leaves a nice
"background" that blends in with the machined fillets, it'll look like it was
sand cast.  No?

royce