In a message dated 12/3/00 3:06:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Since there is a fairly small range of commercially made products
available,  I
>  do think that knowing about silver soldering is an integral part of this
niche of
>  the hobby.  You may never do it, but you don't build your own electric
engines
>  either and still need to understand how electric motors work to maintain
your
>  equipment.  And someday, you may decide to take the plunge....
>
>  regards,
>    -vance-

Vance,
Thanks for the info - that answered my questions!
[And funnily enough, I do know how to build electric motors - in my youth I
was re-winding slot car motors and sometimes building the motors from
bits...]
Everyone's experience is different, and maybe one day I'll build/fix my own
boiler.

    Pete