Hallo Steve,

Welcome! How well I know the "old" Castaic, when there wasn't much but the
"Feather River" project going on--I was more underground than above!

You said:    "In the few web pages devoted to small scale
>live steam, I have noticed many of the outdoor layouts are built on raised
>wooden structures and few are built as garden railways with the track placed
>directly on the ground with ballast.

Elevated track for live steamers permits ease of "firing" -very necessary
for old codgers! Burying one's nose in the dirt isn't always the ideal way
to fire. Also, I believe it is much more desirable to view the trains
closer to eye level as it is  better than a"bird's eye" view. Of course,
for a garden railway, it is, mostly by necessity, on the ground running
between the scenery and structures, I happen to have both versions. N.G
live steam runs from the elevated track  at a 3% grade to the "pastures and
woods"  etc--mostly  my friends' locos and mostly RC. Thereby those
steamers can fire up at waist height and then descend to the "Pub" in the
village!! Meantime, I run my none RC Express passenger trains around the
elevated track at a cool 100mph or so, or more!! Life is sweet!

Incidentally, all the ground track is elevated a few inches on a cedar base
fastened to 2x4 pressure treated fir stakes. The track is supported with
ballast on the cedar.  It has lasted very well over the years requiring
very little maintenance, The elevated track is  mounted on 4x4 redwood
posts with cedar track base-- track is ballasted.

It's really all a matter of choice as to what one would prefer.

Have fun  with your new ventures.

Geoff