Susan

If you want a lot of ideas in a small space, try contacting The Locomotive
Works at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and purchasing their book of drawings and
instructions for their 1/4" locomotives. The price is 12 USD.

The book, which I got from them about 10 years ago, consists of reprints of
a series of construction articles by Martin Lewis. The series was
copyrighted in 1941 and appeared, I believe, in a publication called The
Model Craftsman. Martin Lewis was the designer of the locomotives which are
now available in kit form from The Locomotive Works.

In the book, Lewis states that the locos are designed for alcohol, kerosene,
Diesel oil, gasoline, or propane. He illustrates a wick burner for alcohol
which I suppose would also work with kerosene. However, and this might be of
more interest to you, he also illustrates two generating burners.

One is a simple, elegant design which does not require a pressure tank. He
says a head of only 2" provides enough pressure to operate the burner, which
is designed for alcohol, kerosene, or Diesel.

The other generating burner (which does require a pressure tank holding six
to ten lbs. pressure) was designed primarily for gasoline, but he indicates
that it can also burn alcohol. It should burn kerosene also, but that would
require a more elaborate lighting procedure. This burner, sans generating
tube, also handles propane well.

The book has dimensioned drawings and instructions for all the burners but
not for the pressure tank.

Victor Lacy