In a message dated 12/30/00 3:01:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  It really is amazing that our little beasts work as well as they do. But
> they do so because the designers and the
>  builders were concerned about the little things.

Gary,

The UK magazine "Garden Rail" has a wonderful article about a swiss live
steam locomotive LOK 2001 being built as a full condensing experiment.  It's
streamlined, fully enclosed and has trucks with belt drive between the driven
axle and the two outer ones.  [Bulleid built something similar around 194x in
England as a full-size experiment.]

He calculates on his bench that the efficiency is 0.1% - comparing tractive
effort output to heat energy of the butane fuel input.

    Pete