Great story Vance!  Thank you!

Chuck Walters
http://home.twcny.rr.com/cnylsrs

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of VR Bass
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 4:42 PM
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam
Subject: why are we here, anyway?

Here's a good story from Diamondhead.  (Married men, you can pass this on
to your wives, if there's any doubt about the event.)

On Thursday and Friday nights the Diamondhead Steam Band played
marches and quicksteps, in the tradition of company brass bands from the
19th century.  Afterwards on Friday, Jerry Hyde presented Movie Night, with
Porky Pig cartoon, a short subject about the London-Scotland night express
mail train (including a WH Auden poem written for the film), and a double
feature of "Silver Streak" (the 1930s original) and "The Titfield
Thunderbolt"
(back by popular demand).

When the "Thunderbolt" started, I took a break and some guy (not with the
convention) came into the men's room saying loudly "Are they watching
movies in there?  I can't believe they're watching movies when the Bud Girls
are in the bar!  Man, they're hot!"

Apparently, someone (the bar manager?) heard that there were going to be
200 "railroad guys" in the hotel and figured the Bud Girls would have an
ideal
audience: a bunch of testosterone-poisoned nerds who would jam the bar to
ogle the babes and swill a lot of their "beer".  No takers, though.  The bar
was
empty.  So, the babes marched through the atrium where the steam tracks
were crowded with locomotive drivers and onlookers.  I'm told they were
asked to move along because they were blocking the view.  Still no takers.
Evidently, they slouched back to the bar in defeat and sat alone listening
the uproar and hilarity drifting in from the atrium.

I'm sure this must have been quite an blow to the egos of a couple of
attractive young women whose professional identities seem to hinge on
making beer-drinking men come unhinged.  Boy, did they target the wrong
bunch!  They must have expected two hundred morons at an unescorted
bachelor's party.  But at Diamondhead, whole families come along to enjoy
the cameraderie, many women bring their locos to run, and the general
atmosphere is much more civilized and refined than the Bud Girls apparently
expected.  I doubt they sold a single Budweiser that night.

The movies, by the way, were a lot of fun and the band played really well.

-vance-