<< For those that have them, how did you make them?  Wood or metal?  If wood,
 how did you stain/seal them?  How are they attached to the brackets? >>
I used two layers of 1/16" maple that I cut on my table saw.  On the bottom
one I drilled two holes slightly smaller than an m2 nut, pressed the nuts
into the holes and added a touch of C/A cement then laminated the two pieces
together.  I stained them with a large black felt tip pen and covered them
with a clear flat finish.  They attach with short screws and nothing shows
from the top.  The worked great for me.
Salty