Uh in a word, "Yes" steam oil will scum up a boiler it one allows the boiler to
cool and draw oil into the boiler from the lubricator. To avoid this problem,
loosen the lubricator drain screw or the filler top to allow the draw to suck air
rather than drain the lubricator into the boiler.
It is possible to clean out a boiler of scum as you so well put it. I had to
clean out a Steamlines Shay boiler since the prior owner knew too little.
~Gary Lane
Eugene, Oregon