Jim,
In my youth, acetylene bicycle lights were common, with a sump to hold the
carbide and an adjustable water-drip to control the flame.
And before my youth car headlights were run the same way.
It's my understanding that acetylene has no particular danger unless you
try to compress it.
It will only be yellow and smoky if it doesn't get enough air to burn
properly.
Peter Trounce.

----------
> From: Jim Curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Oil lamps/acetylene
> Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 11:33 AM
>
> Kevin:
>
> Acetylene is an explosive gas which burns with a yellow flame and lots of
> soot from a burning torch unless you enrich the mixture with oxygen.
> Burning torches are required to have flame arrestors attached to the
inlet
> side to prevent a flame from wicking back into the hose/regulator/storage
> bottle and causing and explosion.  I've never seen miniature adaptations
for
> what you're discussing.   What you're getting into is adding an explosive
> gas generator to the side or front of a hot container (boiler/smokebox)
for