In a message dated 1/20/01 3:01:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  >   Any more great ideas floating around out there about easier rivet
>  > punching?

Trent,
There was a scintillating discussion in the egroups/One20point3 group about
the various ways to make rivets - especially for guys like me who aren't
equipped with machine shops.

Vance Bass highly recommended using a round headed punch (as Salty described)
into a round depression.  The NWSL rivet punch can be used for small rivets
in 1:20.3, but that's their largest.  Any other shape doesn't look like a
rivet!

As Salty noted, it is possible to produce good rivet heads with a round punch
into a hole.  But he used a pre-prepared jig (holes in a sheet of brass)
which is fine but not very flexible.

As Mike Chaney described, a drill press and an X-Y table seem to be the
preferred method.  The press allows regular imprints, the X-Y allows you to
space them accurately.  Some folk had made their own moving table for spacing
the rivets, from wood, aluminum, whatever came to hand.  (I have a small
desk-top drill press from MicroMark, and they now sell an X-Y table for it.
I haven't made any rivets yet!)

I guess this doesn't apply to 1" scale...

    Pete