Hi All;

    Walt is correct in his assessment of "pure PA anthracite".  It does not
work in our steam engines. Once a year, PLS gets a large dump truck and goes
to a special spot in the coal regions. They bring back enough coal so that
those members who want it have coal to burn. It's a mixture of several coals
and seems to work well. That is all I know about that coal.

    My own personal experiences of running with coal is nil. That will
change this season as I have 2 engines that can run on coal. Neither are
Gauge 1.  Dave Knowles is a long time large scale steamer from NJ who shared
his many years experience of using coal with me last year as I helped him
unload his 1 1/2" train. His procedure mirrors Tony's outlined below. There
is one thing Dave does not like. His experience shows that standard charcoal
briquettes leave a coating that is difficult to remove in the firebox. He
uses pure charcoal. He gets it at gourmet cook shops. Mesquite I think. It
does cost more, but in the amounts he uses, doesn't feel it's a big cost
factor.I wonder if any of the other listers have found a glaze or coating in
their engines?

        I have to get away from using propane you see. Geoff insists!
Phil.P. Reading,PA.

>     Hi  Walt,
>          You  are  correct.  The  actual  firestarting  procedure  is
with
>   kerosene  soaked  charcoal  brickets,  and  as  fire  and  temperature
> picks  up  you  start  adding  keresene  soaked  coal  or  anthracite.
> Spreading  thin  even  layers  over  the  fire.  By  watching  the  flame
> colour  and  steam
> pressure  increase,  you  gradually  add  dry  coal  or  anthracite.  With
> a  good  drafting  fan,
> I  can  raise  running  steam  in  about  10-15  mins.  Also  I  remove
> the  draft  fan  at  25lbs  pressure  and  allow
> engine  blower  to  pull  up  to  60- 80  lbs  pressure.  Above  25  lbs
> pressure  the  engine  blower  is more
> efficient  than  the  fan.  After  one  lap  of  track,  300' ,
> I  close  blower  entirely.  The  fire
> is  drafted  sufficiently  through  the  firebox  grill  underneath.  If
> pressure
> drops  below  20  lbs  while  on  circuit,  the  engine  blower  will
> still  raise  the  steam  without  the  fan.  I  typically  run  about
4-5
>   300'  lap  circuits  before  adding  more  coal .  i.e.  2-3  shovels
> full.  Shovel is  approv  1" x  3'/4"
> wide  x  1/8"  deep.  I  load  immediately  behind   the  firebox  door.
> Then while
> running  the  coal  moves  forward.  If  you  load  to  the  back  of
> firebox,  you  will  block  the  firetubes  with  cold  coal.
>       My  longest  running  time  has  been  1  hr  20  mins,  then  I
> called  it  a  day.
> Next  engine  will  be  radio  controlled.
> Hope  this  answers  your  question.
>         Tony  D.
>
> At 08:42 AM 1/20/01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Hi,
> >For all practical purposes, I left PA when I granulated from grad school
at
> >PSU in 1960. Have only been back there for funerals, and the only one
left
> >now is mine.
> >THEREFORE, I really do not have any idea of where or how to get PA coal.
I do
> >know that most live steamers in the area do not use it! My recollection
is
> >that hard coal is difficult to ignite and difficult to keep burning i.e.
the