I found I can clean my stainless or brass rail using LGB's track cleaning
block (mounted in a frame with two axles) and pushed by a loco to knock off
leaves. To clean oil and grime I use a rubber hand sanding block with a cut
to shape pad of cotton towel mounted instead of sandpaper. The towel is
usually run over the track dry. If track is really oily I moisten the towel
in the sanding block with lamp oil then run it over the track for a lap then
replace the towel rectangle with a dry cloth and run a lap or two. This
seems to remove oils fairly well without bending over or without application
of reciprocating elbow movement of a repetitive nature.
Gary of Eugene, OR