I found the link I was looking for regarding the sling shot effect.
Spin casting, I know spin casting is used predominantly by the jewelry industry  due
to the inherent
small size of the castings. It would probably work wonders for our scale too. Making a
spin caster would be fairly easy.

http://www.conquestind.com/spinpict.htm

A possible solution to  good wax castings.
For larger stuff I have always rolled the rtv or silicon mold manually . I usually
make the mothermold with metal nuts incorporated into
it if its a large mold so it can be attached to a rig allowing me to rotate the mold (
non weight bearing).
Even for smaller molds I by habit create a mothermold for the rtv. This keeps its
integrity by using keys on the rtv into the mothermold.
Silicast had a great fibreglass epoxy mothermold mix that sets fast and is light . I
use and love they're silicon rubber mold material.

http://www.smoothon.com/Products/liquidrubber.htm

Cheers Ferdinand