Have just finished reassembling my Ruby/Forney conversion and I've
encountered a major problem in adjusting the reversing valve.  In a
major bit of ham handedness, I've managed to "adjust" things so well
that, on my test stand, the engine runs poorly, if at all, in reverse
gear (and then only by hand starting) and not at all in forward gear.  I
was able to screw the valve in and out initially but ended up "jamming"
it.  The reversing valve now will not screw in or out as needed in order
to align the setting ring (the valve seems to be jammed or stuck in one
position on the reversing rod).

In an attempt to get around the "jammed" valve, I adjusted the position
of the reversing lever mechanism by means of the screw slots in the base
and reset it so that the setting ring was correctly positioned flush
with the edge of the valve block.  I was able to get a good response in
reverse but virtually nothing in forward gear.

I then detached the reversing lever assembly from the cab floor and,
while the engine was in steam, tried to put the valve into forward and
reverse gear by directly pushing and pulling the reversing lever rod,
with poor results in both positions.

Pulling the reversing rod back as far as I could, I examined the valve
and noticed one  "hole" on the wall of the valve which, if you could
view the valve in cross section, would be positioned at about 45 degrees
from top centre of the valve.

Sorry to go into such detail but I wanted to outline the situation as
clearly as possible.

Any ideas?  Please!

Walt Gray,
Oakville, ON