This is a very  good explanation of what happens and should be part of an
FAQ.
Any one who is fortunate enough to be around the larger scales 1" and larger
can observe the water expansion that Kent describes fairly easily as their
glasses are larger and they all have relief valves to get more accurate
water level readings.

Phil.P. Reading,PA.