I just took delivery of one that will serve as the start for a kitbashed
ET&WNC #3 ... basic black ("UNDEC RR" or "Henry Ford") paint job ... they
started with the coal burner and substituted the fancier domes from the
model of #42 ... also the simpler tender (the air tank on the frame vice on
top of the tank).

I worked with Bob Pennock ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to get the custom
setup for about $2K, so $1500 won't quite make it, but I would seriously
consider investing an additional $500 ... it is a great little worker!  It
is not an Aster (especially in price) but is good value for the money.  I
do wish it had at least a hand pump in the tender ... which I will probably
get around to doing.

FWIW ... the kitbashing will involve removing an air pump (and rerouting
the plumbing), some rework of the tender, possibly extending the smokebox,
and some rework of the cab ... all cosmetic stuff as the #3 was built to
the same drawings as the #42 and then later converted to a coal burner.
Lucky for me there are few pictures of the #3 in existence, and those that
do exist tend to be sufficiently "soft focus" to frustrate the rivet counters!

Pete Jobusch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]