----- Original Message -----
From: Trent Dowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    Ouch!
>    Just so happens that some of us tend to like "construction equipment".
> Regardless of whether it has had an extra set of wheels slid under it to
make it
> a "real" locomotive or not. <grin>
>
> Trent

Hi Trent,
I suspect that you too have noticed the slight twinkle in my eye! This
attitude is one that has come from spending way too many years leaning out
the cab window, at midnight, with freezing rain running down my neck.
Craning to see the hump signal at the end of 100 car train while pushing
them at mind numbingly slow speeds up and over the hump at Oak Island yard
on the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Switching is something you do when you have
no seniority! While I realize that is is not a "steam" locomotive, my
favorite engine will always be a GG-1. Now, when I had two of them on Mail 9
and Mail 11, and mail trains wewre authorized to run at passenger train
speeds, then that was railroading! 40 office in New York city knowing that
we had no station stops to make, would run us ahead of all the passenger
trains. Pick up the power at the "Meadows" Motor pit, hook on to the train
at South Kearney, a short trip on the P&H branch to Elmora Tower, and out
onto the PRR's mainline.Outrunning passenger trains with a pair of "G"s on
the fastest stretch of track in the United States, now that's railroading!
Keith Taylor