In a message dated 10/24/2001 3:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am a recent signing to
>  this list & understand that a lot of people have been here forever, they
>  know the abbreviations & the 'in' jokes and comments but for us that are
new
>  to the list It means absolutely nothing to some of us.

Geoff,

(If you think this lot are bad, go look at the forums on
"www.mylargescale.com" !)

Practically speaking, you're right about the obscure references, but I've
found it is due to the wide variety of interests and experiences.  It's not
intended to be exclusionary or an "in" joke.  If you don't understand, the
beauty of email is that you can butt in and say "hey, what the *** are you
talking about?" and no-one will think you rude!

There's everyone and everything here, from Mamod steam roller owners, to
lifelong engineers who think nothing of scratchbuilding a correct-tone
whistle for a 1/32nd live steamer.

And a bunch of Brits, like me, who keep pointing out that there are other
narrow gauge railways to model besides those in CO.

    Pete