Harry:

A year or so ago I ordered a set of wheels from Bob Paule.  They are a cast
iron, British manuf. wheel.  I don't know who made them.  Raw size: 2.4"
tread dia., .350 overall thickness, 17 spokes, .068 thick at the base.  The
wheels were cast with a "back" on the backside so all spokes were held by
this backing.  Without detailing every little step, my first operation was
to chuck up the wheel in a 3 jaw, machine the back off exposing the backside
of the spokes followed by drilling and reaming the axle hole.  I then turned
them over and performed all my machining tasks on the front face.  All front
face tasks were performed supporting the wheel on a central "spindle" thru
the reamed axle hole and of course the spokes were unsupported.  The current
discussion about machining Woods wheels without sophisticated clamping is
puzzling, I never experience breakage with these unsupported spokes.  Have
you had one shatter?  I don't recall what depth of cut I was taking but I'm
working on a 9" lathe so listening to the machine and tool I judged what was
appropriate.

Jim