Harry,
The crosshead forces would cause an up-and-down force at the front
(mostly up).
The fore-and-aft would be in some connection with the elasticity of the
train and couplers.
Then there was the left-right nosing.
And the rolling motion (The UK "Rivers" were bad at that one).

Clearly the steam loco was basically unsound (8-)
Would never be allowed today !!!

Peter