Hi John,
    Always interested in hearing about your coal firing tests. I have never
tried  either Signal Fuels or Dr Klinker yet. I have been using my small
stock of Anthracite sent from the UK. for special run occasions.
    But most recently have been using some California coal discovered and
collected and passed on to me by Steve Shyvers a local fellow steamer in
the Bay Area here. It is a softer coal and looks much duller than
anthracite. It burns cooler than anthracite (which is renowned for high
heat, efficiency, but also brings higher firebox/boiler stress's).
    This softer California coal burns faster but very clean, leaves a very
fine sandy coloured ash particles, as opposed to white ash, but with only
two-three larger clinkers after a 45 minute running time. Needs more
frequent re-stoking, but if  long term boiler stress's are less, I do not
mind the extra "work". Why run at 1,000 degr. when 750 will do?.
    I have no idea as to the original origin of Steve's find. Apparently he
lives near some disused abandoned
railway cutting.
    Currently running my Britannia and Dan Leberwitz's U1 on same formula,
and working well.
    Regards,
    Tony D.