Gary,
     The Regner locomotive you found looks great and probably runs fine
also, but for a first locomotive I would try purchasing one from a US dealer
who speaks english and can give you first hand personal assistance if you
have any problems.  I have nothing against Regner and agree that they are a
top-notch firm in Germany, but that is just the problem---IN GERMANY.  If
you have any problems with damage during shipping, defective equipment, etc.
you will be tearing your hair out trying to get everything resolved to your
satisfaction. It just might sour you on live steam forever.  You also might
want to enquire as to the cost of shipping and insurance to get it to
Oregon. That might add up to a tidy sum in addition to the engine, etc.
     I bought my first engine (Roundhouse) from a nearby dealer and I went
to his house where he demonstrated all the in's and out's of Live Steaming
on my new engine.  I did not regret that decision. Your choice of a Mallet
with four cylinders, and all the associated hardware that goes with 4
cylinders, for a first engine is a brave one. I don't think I would have
chosen that engine for my first try at Live Steam.
     Whatever you decide, welcome to the growing list of gauge 1 live steam
owners and I wish you the best of luck with your new engine. Whatever your
decision, you will always have this list from which to garner lots of
helpful information.
Pat Darby
Timber & Tallow Branch RR
Covington, LA