It is my understanding that in 1:1 scale engines a fusible plug was in
the top of the firebox. (In this case, the stay joints.)  As the water
level fell to dangerous levels, the water would not be able to absorb
all the heat being generated in the firebox and the plug would melt.
 The resulting steam/water jet would douse the fire and relieve the
buildup of pressure.

In the case of the mudring, my guess is with a small boiler the
remaining water flashes into steam with the release of pressure, causing
the mud ring joint to melt from the residual heat and allowing this
pressure to be vented as well.