Clark and interested others of the list,

I use data scaled down from AREA drawings as well as data from a wonderful
little book entitled "Simplified Curve and Switch Work" by W. F. Rench,
formerly Supervisor on the Pennsylvania Railroad. This handbook, printed in
1928, provided "Valuable and necessary information for the Supervisor,
Roadmaster and Foreman, and for College instruction".

Because of the non-scale dimensions of wheels and wheel set back-to-back
measurements used in nearly all equipment  running on gauge 1 track,
compromises are required in building up a good working turnout. This
combined with the desire of some end users to get as big a loco as possible
through the smallest turnout make it a challenge indeed.

The main limits are the fixed wheel base of the loco and how much side play
the drivers have combined with the amount of lateral movement available in
the pilot and trailing trucks or wheels. Yes, I recall storys of folks
taking both pilot and trailing wheels off  to get around less than
recommended radius curves.

In a real turnout the point rails that allow route change are available in
about 4 different angles, called a "switch angle" (not to be confused with
the frog angle). These vary from a little over 2 degrees  and 10 foot in
length  and used on a  #4 or #5 frog turnout to less than 1 degree and 30
feet in length as used on  #18 thru #24 frog turnout. This is the first
"bump"  as Clark mentioned. This is followed by the closure rail radius and
on to the second "bump" as the closure curve goes into the pure angle of the
frog for the length of the frog, this is actually the point that the radius
starts to unwind a little.  After the frog, the rails should go gently on
their way straight for a distance or, if not, be allowed to a very gently
curve which might be the third bump if you are not careful.

Full size railways used curved turnouts with curved point rails to ease the
transition and lessen the bump.So it does not hurt at all to bend the point
rails to lessen the bump on our model turnouts as well. We can also build
with curved frogs which also make for smoother running.

By the way, that # 24 turnout I mentioned above has a closure rail radius of
5600 feet. Yep over a mile radius, let's see using 1:32 scale that would be
a 175 foot actual radius curve on a turnout about 7 feet long!

Gary Broeder
LCRwys.