Interesting...

> engine. Modifications include:
>     1.  a working saddle tank with injector
>     2. a large sight glass set at an angle to reduce vapor lock

I have never heard of vapor lock in my years on the big engines.   Pressure
on both sides of the glass should be equal and the water should move up and
down as the water sloshes around.  If the water stops sloshing you are
screwed.  It means the glass has a blockage and you now have no idea how
much water you have.  Hit the tri-cocks before putting in cold water.

>     3. an operating sand dome
>     4. a heated & insulated water tank in tender (heat supplied by a steam
> line in the water tank (he can fill the boiler either with hand feed water
> pump or injector)

I can see the heated water for the butane but it may hinder the injector
performance which will tend to prefer cold water.

J.R.